At Astro Machine Works, we are honored to be a trusted component machining vendor for the U.S. military. We have successfully fulfilled thousands of contracts for the military and other government agencies and contractors.
Military Standards (MIL-STD or MIL-SPEC) describe the technical and commercial processes that have to be carried out in a uniform manner in order to meet the various production standards set forth by the U.S. Department of Defense. At Astro Machine Works, our team of expert machinists are highly experienced in producing work that fully complies with the most exacting standards, including MIL-STD.
Whatever the specifications of a government or military order, we understand the high standards we must meet. Supporting our armed forces by supplying them with the very best equipment and machining services available is a duty we never take lightly.
Materials for Military Manufacturing
Astro Machine Works, we can handle a variety of materials on defense projects. The metals we use most often include:
- 6061 & 7075 Aluminum. Two of the strongest aluminum alloys on the market. 6061 aluminum is an all-purpose aluminum grade material most commonly used for CNC machined parts. 7075 Aluminum possesses strengths comparable to many steels.
- Carbon steel and stainless steel. Steel is the most common metal used in the defense industry. Carbon steel is strong and durable, making it useful for bayonets, knives, and a variety of handheld tools and instruments. Stainless steel is very durable and highly resistant to corrosion, making it excellent for parts and equipment that operate in extreme conditions.
- Nickel alloys. Nickel alloys have many beneficial properties, such as electrical resistance, low expansion under heat, and memory hysteresis. They also feature good strength and can create very high-quality parts, which makes them well-suited for parts for the defense industry.
- Titanium. Titanium is well known for its high resistance to corrosion, favorable strength-to-weight ratio, excellent reliability, and thermal expansion properties. These characteristics make titanium appropriate for fabricating components for the military and aerospace industries. Airframes and armors are examples of structural parts manufactured with titanium.
In addition to these commonly used metals and alloys, we also work with:
- Hardened steel
- Tool steel
Hastelloy®, Inconel®, and Waspaloy® are considered superalloys—high-performance alloys with superlative mechanical strength and good surface stability. They resist corrosion, oxidation, and deformation through thermal creep.
Applications of CNC Machining for the Military
Computer numerical control (CNC) machining is capable of manufacturing parts with great precision, which makes it ideal for fabricating parts that comply with MIL-SPEC. CNC machining is commonly used to produce military and defense components such as:
- Aerospace couplers
- Aircraft seat frames
- Helicopter components
- Main rotor hubs
- Missile components
- Munition hoist components
- Naval ship components, engines, and structural systems
- Retainer rings
- Track hubs
- Transmission components
Astro Machine Works & Manufacturing Military Equipment
Astro Machine Works has been at the forefront of precision CNC machining for more than 35 years. Our focus has always been on delivering exceptional value and outstanding quality. This has enabled us to become a supplier to the U.S. military, the U.S. government, and a wide variety of government prime contractors.
Our 72,000-square foot facility in Ephrata, Pennsylvania was specifically designed to create an efficient workflow for our team of skilled professionals to produce innovative military equipment and parts. That’s why our clients trust us with their most important machining and manufacturing needs. Our services include:
- Precision CNC machining (lathing/turning, grinding, milling)
- Wire EDM
- Custom machine building
- Procurement of raw materials and components
- Equipment testing and debugging
- Reverse engineering of machinery and components
- Welding and fabrication
- Machine repairs, rebuilds, and refurbishment
We are fully equipped and have the necessary expertise and experience for the high quality, low tolerance work required by MIL-STD. Please contact us for more information about our capabilities.